Friday, August 27, 2010

Katrina

As I'm sure we're all aware, this weekend is the 5th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Honestly, I hadn't really given in much thought. I saw the news coverage this morning and watched with minimal interest.

And then I read this. And it moved me so much that I need to share it with you all. It's not just the story of Katrina that affected me, it's what Jen reminds us all to do. To not take things for granted, but to appreciate every moment. To open our eyes and see what -- and who -- is around us. And to enjoy it.

So often I get caught up in my every day life. I over-analyze myself and critique myself to the point where I no longer enjoy anything. I get tired and have to drag myself through my days, all the while wishing for the day to be over so I can go to bed.

But reading Jen's post today helped me to realize the futility in doing that. Why continue to beat myself up for what I'm not doing when I can enjoy all that I am able to do, all the happiness that is in my life?

Please, take a few minutes today to think of all who were affected by Katrina, and how their lives have been affected. And all that their experiences can teach us.

xoxo,
Allegra

2 comments:

I'maNolaGirl said...

Allegra,

If any good can come out of this tragedy, it will be to find a lesson somewhere within its sadness. I am so touched that my story, our story really, impacted your day.

Thanks for sharing and for your thoughts. I often wonder if there will come a time when these few days will pass, and they will be like all the rest. But, I suppose there is some good in remembering just how far we've come.

Jen

KMag said...

Allegra, I am so proud of you. You do pick yourself up by the proverbial bootstraps every day. You do smile at your customers, and your son, and even at me via skype. Every day has it's own challenges, maybe not as big as Katrina, but challenges nonetheless. You are doing a good job of handling things. As Allen would say, "Take a deep breath." Love you, Me